Monday, February 13, 2012

Day 70

Given that I've worked at a food magazine for nearly six years and I fancy myself as someone who knows quite a bit about food, I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I thought that this popcorn--purchased yesterday at Healthy Living as a treat for me and Jon--would pop up in a variety of vivid colors. Alas, I was wrong. Must be some sort of fancy "heirloom popcorn." (Smile.) In any case, it was quite tasty.

From this... to fluffy white (with a couple of yellow) poofs.
Can you believe it?

And here's a secret: You needn't have an air popper to make delicious popcorn. All you need to do is stick 1/3 cup of unpopped kernels into a brown paper lunch bag, roll it down once or twice and secure it with a piece of masking tape and then hit the "popcorn" button on your microwave (assuming there is one). If not, just popcorn it the way you would the packaged microwave popcorn, the kind of the fake buttery smell. When the pops slow down, it's done. Dump it into a bowl. Sprinkle it with a little water and shake in a tiny bit of salt. Mmmm... 20 calories per cup, my friends.

I had this nice little snack (a whole grain, it is!) after returning home from a relaxing evening with Lisa and Ri. We "watched" The Bachelor and I got my first taste of Courtney, who sure does make for obnoxiously great TV. But you know what? Put me on that show with those sharks and I would have created fabulous drama. If there's anything I fear more than driving, it's sharks--you know, growing up in Western Pennsylvania and all. I know it doesn't make sense so I'm blaming Marcy the babysitter who let me watch Jaws when I was 5. 

No comments:

Post a Comment