Friday, February 24, 2012

Day 78 - 79

Dear Kai (age 21 months),

Over the last couple of days, I've come to the realization that you're a pretty wise little dude with an impressive emotional IQ. When life's got you a down, you know exactly what you need to boost your mood. And let's face, most often, it's your left thumb.

Life is good, dudes.

But sometimes, you need a little loving from your posse. And when that's the case you reach out and grab it, without haste. When you wipe out or Jules snatches your toy lion or pries the purple ukelele from your fingers, you run over to Dad, arms outstretched and pointedly request a "Hug." If I try to lay you down in your crib before you're ready, you gesture toward the chair and ask to "Rock," repeatedly, until we settle back in. Then you murmur "Snuggle." Sometimes if, like tonight, I can convince you to lie down in your crib (by lowering myself to the floor next to it and resting my head on your dolphin Pillow Pet), you make it abundantly clear that this sleep thing isn't gonna happen unless I hold your "Hand." 

Oh, Kai Guy, I'm quite in awe of such emotional maturity so early in life... that coming from a 36-year-old woman who cries herself in circles over the littlest things when a hug or a snuggle could easily make it all better. Duly noted, tiny teacher.

Love,
Your mom

No comments:

Post a Comment