Friday, April 20, 2012

Day 136

This is today's to-do list. It's definitely not comprehensive - missing two big work calls and everything after the workday ends but it's snippets of direction, to help me refocus when I start doing something like... um, reading 25 journal articles that are only tangentially related to my work or cutting up the cantaloupe in my fridge--you know, just so it's ready to eat at a moment's notice.

My to-do review
Anyhow, an hour or so ago, I glanced at this list. At first, I felt stressed. Then... I felt lucky.

1. "Fitness Annotated" - I sent in the backup (plus an annotated draft) for the approved version of a magazine feature I've been working on FOR. EVER. Thrilled that it's wrapped but also grateful that I landed an assignment on a topic that I pitched (because it's so near and dear to me) and also that I got to work with a lovely editor and connect with eloquent psychologists, fascinating researchers and amazing "real" women.

2. I went for a "Run." With Ri and Digs. At 10 a.m. Because Friday is a home day. Yes, I am lucky and I know it.

3. "Read." I wrote this last night at 11:15 and, quite honestly, I don't know what I wanted myself to read today. I have several layouts for custom pub projects with fast-approaching deadlines that I brought home to review today and I'm pretty sure that that's what I meant. But that "read"-ing is a responsibility on my list makes me smile. I love to read. I'm going to pretend that I *must* read a novel. (But not actually do it - because I have a lot of work things to read.) Need a novel rec? Check this awesome list my FB friends helped me build.

4. "Organize Wt. Manag." This means sort through the GIANT pile of journal articles on obesity and behavior change (the ones I've been moving back and forth from the dining room table to the counter corner for weeks) to figure out just what I need to read to be able to pass pre-test that admits me to a three-day training workshop on the science of weight management. (It's through the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.) LOVE that my work pays me to keep learning in this area...

5. "Hotel for JBF Awards." I have to find and book a hotel for the James Beard Awards. Because the EatingWell story that I edited (and the fabulous Melinda Wenner Moyer wrote!) on toxins in our food and environment was nominated for an award. So exciting! I also have to figure out the cheapest/fastest way to get from Manhattan to Newark for a 7:30 a.m. flight so I can get back to prep for the boys' birthday party. Shuttle from Grand Central area or train from Penn Station? Help! It affects where I stay.

6. "Mtg - marathon." Um... I have no idea what this means because I do not have a meeting about a marathon. I do know that I have to register my VCM relay team... which I've been putting off because we haven't nailed down a clever name yet. Any ideas? Team includes me, Ri, Lisa, Kate (coming in from the 'burgh), my sister-in-law to be, Casey (coming in from Ohio) - so excited for the weekend. My bro and mom will be coming to cheer us on too.

And, oh yes, I must buy olive oil, juice and parsley. (Other things too).

In sum, here's why today's to-do list makes me feel lucky... I get paid to do work I love: write all sorts of content centered on health and wellness. (Right now), I have a somewhat flexible working arrangement that, twice a week, let's me run during the day and even toss in a load of laundry. I have exciting things to look forward to: family visits! award ceremonies! marathons! (Then there's the awesome kids, the kick-ass husband, the perfect dog.)


IMPORTANT NOTE: I am not always grateful about my to-dos. If you know me, you already know this.

SECOND IMPORTANT NOTE: I am not bragging. I am reminding myself why I am lucky so that, in five minutes, when I'm stressing about how none of this is done and how I should have been doing it instead of writing this blog, I can read this post.

Happy Friday!



No comments:

Post a Comment