Friday, April 27, 2012

Day 143

Today was a long day at the end of a long week. I worked 17 hours yesterday - at the office. I am not complaining (or maybe I am? or am I bragging? hmmm... perhaps this mention was entirely unnecessary - yes, I think so - but now it's out). Anyway, I shouldn't be complaining because I still have a job after my company did a big round of lay-offs on Tuesday. And it happens to be a job I like. A lot. 

Regardless, my work week was a little out of balance and ended on a somewhat stressful note. Full confession: Today, from 4:55 to 5:10 pm or so, I cried in the car. (Yeah, yeah, me crying is like someone else sneezing... but after lots of days that require precarious work/life juggling and too few hours of sleep, I break down.) 

If this shark were chasing me, on land, I think I might be able
to run a 10K at a 8-minute-mile pace. Just maybe.

Luckily, I have great friends who pick me up. Ri made me and the boys dinner - pork tenderloin, sweet potato fries and baked beans, mmmm - while Jon took his turn at working late (on a Friday, poor guy). Note: the dinner invite was not in response to my cranky, weepy state. It came hours before the tears. 

And when I brought the boys home to put them to bed, Ri came with me, while Jon stayed to watched the NFL draft with Chris. The idea was to have a glass of wine when they were tucked in but bedtime took longer than expected. 

And then... then... I check the mail to find that my incredibly thoughtful friend Amy sent me a running mix (!!!) that she'd made for me--and this insanely realistic-looking shark card. Which is awesome and hilarious. Sharks terrify me--and, yet, I am obsessed.

My friends rock. I am lucky, lucky girl. (Yes, HT and Dibs, your tribute is coming. Be patient.)

No comments:

Post a Comment