Monday, July 23, 2012

Day 228

I spend a lot of my life wishing I were more like other people... that I possessed more of UB's hell-yeah-let's-do-it-ness. That I had the discipline and focus of my friends who get up and run seven or eight miles before work. Every day. But I also wish I could just chill. Relax. Like my mom does. 

I wish that I were as brilliantly creative as my artist friends--and also more strategic and less emotional, like my business-minded buds. I wish I was a little bit taller. I wish I was a baller... Not really. (Actually, yes. 5'6 or 5'7 would be nice... and it'd be great to have a little bit of hand-eye coordination so that when someone tossed something for me to catch, this wouldn't happen.) 

I could go on and on... 

.... yes, I could go on and on and I don't think I'd ever get to wishing I were more like Steve Jobs, much as his Stanford commencement speech moved and inspired me (and pretty much everyone else). But just because I'd never really thought about it. Until I read this article in the current issue of Wired Magazine. The piece basically examines the profound influence that Walter Isaacson's bio of Jobs (which long has been on my to-read list) has had on so many people. According to this worth-a-read article, you read the book and you become a Jobs worshipper. Or you become a Jobs rejector. To my surprise, my responses to the sidebar quiz designed to assess where on this spectrum someone falls, I scored solidly in the latter category. A rejector.

But I still admire the guy's drive. And definitely his passion. A lot. Which lead me to walk away from this article realizing that I can learn a lot trying to be a little more like all of the people who, in some way, inspire me. 

Who inspires you? 


No comments:

Post a Comment